It’s been a long time since I posted something. Part of my omission was laziness and the other was uncertainty about plans for the future. The drought that badly hurt two of my crops in the last three years made me wary about planting. Last winter would have been the year to invest in seed and fertilizer since it rained normally. I got a late start and soil conditions weren’t great for planting, so my friend Mark Lefler and I broadcast cereal rye seed on my acreage and used some chainlink fence as a drag to cover it with soil.
I had intended that when the rye grew up Mark would put his cows on small segments of field at a time, letting them graze down weeds, and then moving them to a new patch in a couple days. Weeds have been a big problem and with this system I hoped to get manure for fertilizer and keep the weeds at bay. At a certain growth stage for the plants we would pull all the cows and let the rye make a grain crop for me to harvest. It was so cold in December and January that the rye didn’t grow much and then it rained so much that he couldn’t get his cows across the creek from another pasture. In late springI let him graze all except for 5 acres. I didn’t harvest that in the end because it was thin and my harvester was giving me fits.
This year I’m trying again. I really want to make a no-till system work for several reasons. One is the weed control, second is the manure, third is to preserve the microbial life in the soil that provides nutrients and holds carbon, and last is to try to control costs. There is lots of evidence and promise in making healthy soils that grow crops better and help keep CO2 out of the atmosphere.
In my next post I’ll detail some of the steps I’m taking.